If you just got engaged and don’t know where to begin, don’t fret! Many newly engaged couples don’t have a clue what to do or how to start the process of planning a wedding. So for those of you who are feeling overwhelmed from the start, here are some helpful ideas to get you going with some of the big stuff:
1. First decide on a tentative guest list and how much you want to spend, because every decision you make will impact your budget and how many people you can invite!
2. Pick a date or at least narrow down a time of year that you want to have your wedding.
3. Reserve your ceremony and reception space right away so you can get your ideal date or time of year locked in before it’s too late. While you’re doing that, block hotel space near your reception facility to ensure they aren’t going to be full.
4. Decide whether or not you want certain colors or themes for your wedding because once you start booking vendors, this could greatly impact your decisions.
5. If you’ve got certain vendors you’d like to work with (DJ’s, florists, photographers, cake, etc.), get them booked so you don’t have to settle with just anyone who might be available.
6. Determine who you’d like involved in the wedding, and begin to ask them if they want to be a part of your big day.
7. Start shopping for the wedding dress, followed by bridesmaid dresses and tuxedos.
8. Decide if you want to go on a honeymoon! If so, contact a travel agent because they will help you every step of the way.
9. Send “Save the Dates” if you’re going to and pick out what you want for any other stationary items (invitations, menus, thank you cards, etc.).
Once you’ve got some of this big stuff out of the way, then you can begin the fun part by detailing everything! Set up meetings with the facilities and vendors that you booked so you can go through your wish list of how you want your day to be. The people you work with should be able to help guide you through all the details. For instance, if you were to book your ceremony and/or reception here at the Sioux Falls Convention Center then you will be assigned an Event Manager who serves as your wedding planner. You’ll get assistance with anything that involves the ceremony (if you hold it here) and reception from the beginning of the day to the end of the night. There are lots of details that involve the reception alone, so it’s a great tool to be able to utilize the knowledge of the staff so you don’t forget anything.
Let us help make your dream day come true—dates are still available for 2013 and are starting to fill up for 2014, so give us a call today!
Jessica Flanigan-Adamski | Events Manager | 605-367-4164 | Sioux Falls Convention Center
Come Visit the Sioux Falls Convention Center Team at the Sioux Empire Wedding Showcase on November 17, 2013. Pre-register by visiting here.Tags: Amazing Weddings, Creative Wedding Reception, First Steps in Wedding Planning, Iowa Wedding Planning, It's Your Wedding, Midwest Weddings, Minnesota Wedding Planning, Nebraska Wedding Planning, North Dakota Wedding Planning, Recently Engaged, Reception Venue, Selecting Your Wedding Reception Venue, Sioux Empire Bridal, Sioux Falls Bridal Shows, Sioux Falls Brides Guide, Sioux Falls Convention Center, Sioux Falls Wedding Planning, Sioux Falls Wedding Tips, Sioux Falls Weddings, South Dakota Weddings, Steps in Wedding Planning, Wedding Planners, Wedding Planning, Wedding Reception Trends and Ideas, Wedding Reception Venues in Sioux Falls, Wedding Showcase, Wedding Trends